четверг, 12 апреля 2012 г.

Is it better to be a loving son or a loving mother?

She was a perfect mother for her children. He was a perfect son for his parents. It was an endless family love that kept all their heart feelings away.
Great love in a family dimension may transform you in an inappropriate male for a relationship and so it was with Paul. He was so consumed by his mother, that no wings were left for Miriam. Gentle, sweet and caring Miriam, that was always by his side took over Paul only after he was nothing. A BIG nothing.
But that's not the whole story, so make sure you read the details.

An as usual, some of my notes out of this book:
 
D.H.LAWRENCE
Sons and Lovers
*She knew that the man who steps on the way home from works is on a quick way to ruining himself and his home.
*He had denied the God in him.
*You feel safe enough and vain enough in a crowd. But take care and see how you feel when you find yourself alone, and in triumph.
*They’re large in promises, but it’s precious little fulfillment you get.
*The man was the work and the work was the man, one thing, for the time being. It was different with the girls. The real woman never seemed to be there at the task, but as if left out, waiting.
*If you like it, alter it, if you can’t alter it, put up with it.
*Not such a clown shall anger me,
  A boor is answered silently.
*Nothing is as bad, as a marriage that’s a hopeless failure.
*I should have watched the living, not the dead.
*Sometimes life takes hold of one, carries the body along, accomplishes one’s history, and yet is not real, but leaves oneself as it were slurred over.
*Being a man isn’t everything.
*I’m like a pig’s tail. I curl because I cannna help it.
*When the pain is over, the remembrance of it often becomes a pleasure.
*But even your joy is like a flame coming off of sadness.
*She might have been one of the women who went with Mary when Jesus was dead.
*She is one of those, who will want to suck a man’s soul out till he has none of his own left – and he is just such a gaby as to let himself to be absorbed.
*Love begets love.
*A soldier! – A common soldier! – Nothing but a body that makes movements when it hears a shout!
*-Why don’t you praise me up to the sky? – I should have the trouble of dragging you down again, - she said.
*My bones fair just out on me.
*He was thin as a starved rat.
*Love laughs at sludge.
*Hers was the strongest tie in his life.
*She held the keys to his soul.
*It was not his furies, but his quiet resolutions that she feared.
*A woman, when she is in travail, hath sorrow because her hour is come. – Bible.
*She believed that there were in him desires for higher things and desires for lower, and that the desire for the higher would conquer.
*When she fights for herself she seems like a dog before a looking glass, gone into a mad fury with its own shadow.
*Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust. If Lord won’t have you, the Devil must.
*Young girls are like that. They look forward to the fine home they think they’ll have. But I had expensive furniture. It’s not everything.
*But I say if a man is genuine, as he is, and a girl is fond of him – then – it should be all right. He’s as good as she.
*A son’s my son till he takes him a wife. But my daughter’s my daughter the whole of her life.
*That’s a woman’s whole doctrine for life- ease of soul and physical comfort.
*So long as life’s full, it doesn’t matter whether it’s happy or not.
*If the woman wasn’t fools, the men wouldn’t be bad uns.
*A house of woman is as dead as a house with no fire.
*Well my lad, you did it yourself, now you must make the best out of it.
*It was a bitter thing to her to be put aside by life, as if it had no use for her.
*There is so little likehood of my ever being given a choice that I haven’t wasted time considering.
*I want a woman to keep me, but not in her pocket.
*There is one thing in marriage that’s always dreadful, but you have to bear it.
*It has been one long battle between us – you fighting away from me.
*She’s such a queen in her way.
*Miriam’s affair was like a fire fed on books – if there were no more volumes it would die out.
*It’s only once in the bluest of blue moons.
*I should think she boxes your ears.
*The aristocracy is really a military institution.
*You consider your own affairs, and don’t know so much about other people’s.
*that’s just what a woman is. She thinks she knows what’s good for a man, and she’s going to see he gets it and no matter if he’s starving, he may sit on a whistle for what he needs, while she’s got him, and is giving him what’s good for him.
*Love’s a dog in a manger.
*They want me like mad, but they don’t want to belong to me.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий